How do you build an above ground garden?
- Select a Location and Assemble the Kit. Choose a flat, sunny spot to build your raised garden bed.
- Line with Landscape Fabric. Line the bottom of the bed with weed block or landscape fabric.
- Add Soil. Choose the correct soil for the plants you intend to grow.
- Add Plants or Seeds.
- What to Grow in Your Raised Garden Bed.
What kind of wood should be used for raised beds?
Wood options for Raised Garden Boxes
- Redwood or Black Locust – Definitely the best option for raised garden boxes in terms of longevity because they are naturally rot-resistant and have been known to last up to 20 years.
- Cedar – Another rot-resistant wood, cedar can last 10-15 years and looks gorgeous.
What do I put on the bottom of a raised garden bed?
The lasagna method: Fill the bottom of your garden boxes with a layer of leaves, grass clippings, straw, wood chips and other organic materials, with a layer of cardboard on top. Next, add your soil. This mixture will break down into rich compost over time.
How deep should a raised bed garden be?